Strong is sexy! Sometimes big heavy metal weights can be a little bit daunting, but combining weight training into your workout will help you burn more calories and tone your body. So bust your fears, check out this barbell workout to get summer ready!
How to do it: Perform 8-10 reps of each move one after the other in a circuit, resting between sets if you need to. Once a circuit is complete, return to the start and repeat. Keep going until you’ve reached the time recommended for your level.
Beginner: 10 mins
Intermediate: 15 mins
Advanced: 20 mins
Squat (Areas trained: Glutes, Quads, Hamstrings, Calves)
– Holding the barbell resting on your shoulder muscles, stand with your feet shoulder-width apart
– Bend your knees and hips to lower your body until the tops of your thighs are parallel to the floor
– Reverse the position, extending your hips and knees to return to the start position.
Romanian Deadlift (Areas trained: Hamstrings, Lower back, Glutes)
– Hold the bar with an overhand grip approximately shoulder-width (your thumbs should brush the outside of your thighs)
– Place your feet approximately hip-width apart, with knees soft and your feet straight ahead
– Maintaining a flat back position, bend forward at the hips, lowering the bar towards the floor
– Reverse the position, extend your hips and return to the start position
Hip Thrust (Areas trained: Glutes, Hamstrings, Core)
– Set up with your shoulder blades in with the bend an holding a barbell to your hips.
– Place your feet close to your bottom, so that at the top of the hip thrust, your calves are at 90 degrees to the floor
– Drive through your heels and focus on using your glutes to pish your hips straight up. Finish with your hips as high as possible while maintaining a neutral spine.
– Lower; repeat.